Calimyrna figs are a true delicacy, known for their delicious, nut-like flavor that is sure to satisfy any sweet tooth. This fruit, grown in California, is a special breed of Turkish Smyrna figs and has a golden brown skin that looks simply enticing when added to recipes. Go ahead and chop the figs up for use in salads, bake them into your favorite brownies, cookies, and cakes, or add them into your morning cereal for a nutrient-packed start to the day. They are also great for snacking too! Their rich serving of fiber makes them a filling treat, so all you'll need is one or two to feel perfectly satisfied. And with every bite you'll enjoy minerals, vitamins and antioxidants that are involved in everything from heart, digestive to skin health.
Cook Meals Made With Calimyrna Figs
If your only previous experience with figs comes in the form of packaged cookies, then you may be wondering what you can do with these fruits. Believe it or not, there are so many possibilities. Naturally sweet figs make an excellent baking ingredient, but they also fit nicely into recipes for any meal:
- Breakfast: Try incorporating figs into your daily oatmeal. Their unusually gritty texture contrasts nicely with the creaminess of the oatmeal. Chop the figs into small pieces and add them to your cereal, along with a teaspoon of chia seeds and a bit of milk.
- Lunch: Add figs to your green salad. Whether you eat salad as the main course or a side, figs help dress it up and give it a new dimension of chewiness. Cut the figs into eighths, then drop them on the salad.
- Dinner: Try a fig and brie crostini. Figs make tasty additions to any pizza-like meal, including calzones and strombolis. When you choose a fragrant cheese to go along with the figs, it balances their taste nicely. For a crostini, buy premade French bread and make a fig spread the night before to let the flavors set. Add fig spread, cheese and a sliced apple to each slice of bread, then toast.
Best of all, when you cook with figs, you get the many health advantages that come with these fruits. They have loads of nutrients and minerals, such as calcium, copper and iron. When you add them to a dish, you also get that dose of fiber that helps your digestive tract stay regular.
Plus, when you have something naturally sweet like a fig as part of your main course, you can cut down on added sugar. You won't want your usual dollop of brown sugar on your oatmeal, and you may even curb cravings for dessert later in the day when you eat figs for lunch.
Baking With Calimyrna Figs
Interested in baking with figs? Try making a figgy pudding — yes, the famous dish from the Christmas song. Made with dates and figs, this sticky dessert will please everyone at your holiday table. You make it with loads of sugar and butter, and the rich sauce you top it off with will quickly become a favorite in your household. Other ideas include:
- Fig-filled cookies
- Fig danish
- Fig cake
You can add figs to just about any dessert to reduce the amount of fat. Try soaking figs in hot water for 20 minutes, mash them into a paste, then substitute them for one-third of the fat in any recipe, such as butter or oil. This will make your baked dishes taste more sumptuous and reduce the amount of fat in each bite.
Health Benefits of Figs
1. Heart Health: California figs are a good source of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which lower levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol to promote cardiovascular health. They also contain potassium that balances out sodium levels to regulate blood pressure.
2. Cognitive Health: Calimyrna figs contain a variety of B-vitamins that include riboflavin, thiamin, niacin, folates, pyridoxine and pantothenic acid. They reduce the risk of age-related cognitive disorders such as Alzheimer's.
3. Bone Health: Dried Smyrna figs provide calcium and magnesium, which ensure proper bone density to reduce the risk of developing osteoporosis. The fruit also contains other minerals such as zinc, copper, manganese and selenium.
4. Rich in Fiber: Calimyrna figs bulk is comprised of a high content of fiber. A 100-gram serving provides 24% of the nutrient's recommended daily intake. Fiber improves movement of food in the gut to prevent constipation, colitis and hemorrhoids while supporting the growth of health bacteria in the colon.
FDA Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease
Get Your Figs From Sincerely Nuts
Buy dried calimyrna figs online from us and experience an unmatched mix of premium quality, fast shipping, and superior customer service. When you order in bulk, you receive the best pricing, as well as a break on shipping. We offer free shipping on orders of more than $60. Contact us today to place your order for fancy calimyrna figs.