There is a simple answer to this question — yes!
Chickpeas and garbanzo beans both describe the plant cicer arietinum, in the legume family. Chances are you even use the two terms interchangeably, but maybe you've wondered if you were actually talking about the same thing.
So how did two completely different names come to be so common for the same food? Chickpeas and garbanzo beans are a common food around the world. The two names came from two different cultures, and both names stayed around.
Where Do the Different Names Come From?
"Chickpeas" is the English term for the plant and "garbanzo beans" is the Spanish term.
Chickpeas have been a popular food in the Middle East and beyond for hundreds of years. The term originated from the Latin word "cicer," which is part of the scientific name for the plant today still. The French later adapted the term to "pois ciche," and when the English popularized them, changed the name again to "chich pease."
The name went through one final change when the English decided that the plural-sounding name was too confusing and began calling the legume a chickpea as we know it now.
The word "chickpea" has a clearer history than "garbanzo bean," but there are a few theories about where the phrase came from. Garbanzo might have come from the old Spanish word "arvanço" or the word "garbantzu" from the Basque language that is still spoken in a certain region in Spain.
With its popularity in different cultures across the world, there must be a reason why chickpeas stayed so popular. With their great taste, versatility and unique health benefits, it's really no wonder at all why they're still such a popular food.
Health Benefits of Chickpeas
Now that we've answered the question of the difference between garbanzo beans and chickpeas, here are some of the great health benefits you'll see when you add them to your regular diet:
- Rich in Protein and Fiber: These key nutrients help fill you up and keep you feeling full for longer.
- Weight Management: When you're feeling fuller, you're less likely to eat the foods that are not healthy for you. And, with lower calories and higher nutrient levels, they're a great food to eat when you're trying to lose weight and keep the weight off.
- Blood Sugar Control: Protein and fiber also help your body regulate its blood sugar levels. Chickpeas also have a low glycemic level.
- Digestive Health: With its amount of fiber, garbanzo beans can help keep your digestive system working healthily by giving more frequent bowel movements and increasing healthy bacteria in your digestive tract.
- Chronic Disease Protection: When you eat chickpeas regularly, you may be less likely to develop certain chronic diseases like heart disease, cancer and diabetes.
With such great health benefits, it doesn't matter whether you're using the word chickpeas or the phrase garbanzo beans for this superfood!
Order Your Chickpeas From Sincerely Nuts
If you're ready to begin enjoying these amazing benefits, stock up on chickpeas at Sincerely Nuts! When your order is more than $60, you'll receive free shipping, too.